Monday, December 31, 2012

Welcome 2013 - With quiet times and flowers in the house

Our New Year's Eve is a quiet one. There's just the two of us as my DH reminded me when our youngest and his wife headed for their home today... "We are back to just you and me!" At our stage of life, isn't that the way it should be?

On Saturday while doing last minute shopping for our family celebration, I treated myself to a sleeve of beautiful roses! I couldn't resist the ivory roses tipped with deep red. I pulled out a favorite old jar and a milk glass vase. I just knew each would be perfect for the roses! I didn't remember Jane's wonderful Flowers in the House party until today! The roses were too lovely not to share.


The black granite counter-top was the perfect home for the lovely milk glass vase of roses.


The jar of roses was right at home on my grandma's trunk highlighting the beauty of the white nativity nestled in a bed of sparkling Epsom Salts (Thanks Martha Stewart!) on an old silver tray. The green metal candle holder was a gift from my mama during the Advent Season some 35 year ago. This year it was home to a lovely red candle ... a gift from a very dear friend.


I still haven't managed to take down the Christmas trees. This little silver metallic tree is a tribute to my late parents and their wonderful aluminum tree complete with rotating color wheel.  I am sure that my nephew remembers that tree as fondly as my daughter. She often mentions the Christmases spent at Grandma and Granddaddy's house and the tree always manages to creep into the conversation! Mama would be horrified... she felt it bad luck to have the tree up on New Year's Day. I am traditional enough to think I need black-eyed peas and turnips to bring prosperity and health to the New Year... just can't bear to take down the tree until January 6th! I may not celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas with a partridge in a pear tree, but I do enjoy the trees as long as possible.



Many times I reach the end of the year with bittersweet feelings... but not this year!  I am embracing the newness and possibilities of 2013 with unabashed enthusiasm! REJOICE! Good wishes to you and yours for good health, contentment, and a world of possibilities in 2013... 

Happy, Happy New Year!

Visit Jane's party, Small But Charming. She is ready for adorable Mr. Baby's birthday complete with stunningly beautiful flowers and a buffet of scrumptious food!

P.S. It seems our country's leaders may have reached an agreement to keep us from going over the fiscal cliff... great news! Now if they can just learn to play nicely together in 2013... too much to ask for????

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks so warm and beautiful. A rotating color wheel??? Wish I could see that! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all the reds in your pictures and the way everything looks so inviting and warm. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! You packed a lot in that post. Roses, memories of Christmas past and politics.

    A perfect way to start a new year.

    Thanks for inviting us in and sharing your life and treasures.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful reds! Very cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete

Your visit is appreciated and thank you for taking the time to comment, too!