Monday, April 7, 2014

Flowers in the House ~ Thank you, Springtime!

Finally... the cold seems to have gone! Some cool, rainy days, but no freezing temps...YIPPEE! I really am not gloating... for anyone who is still experiencing unseasonably cold weather, your springtime will come. I am just happy to be back where we are suppose to be here in the South. Yesterday and today, we have had severe thundershowers and now we are under tornado watches... unsettling, but typical weather here! We do know how to react to this type weather... snow and ice, just freak us out!


The azaleas in the front beds are in full bloom. The dogwood is waning. The cold March weather was not kind to my dogwood this year. Fortunately, my neighbors and others about town are maintaining their beauty. These little bouquets make kitchen chores so much more pleasant! Each blue bottle holds one stem from the azalea...little pink pom poms!



One climbing rose, a couple of stems of Indian Hawthorne, and lemon basil were all gathered from around the yard. The lemon basil has rebounded with a vengeance! The barren pot is now covered with lovely fresh basil. 


The azaleas are pretty, pink perfection!




Lovely purple iris surrounded by more Indian Hawthorne, and a sprig from a blooming tree on the fence row (No idea what kind!). Three irises are blooming in the back flowerbed. I could only cut one...they were just too pretty outside!

I am so excited to see the perennials coming back. There are about ten or so peonies of the 30 I planted last year. Since I am on the lowest edge of their growing zone, I am happy with that. Did I say that one of the plants has two lovely buds? I have seen so many beautiful FITH offerings with peonies, I just had to give them a try. Keeping my fingers crossed for a few pretty blossoms this year. The hydrangeas are filling in nicely and the ginormous gardenia bush is lush and green. Looking forward to May flowers!

Thanks, Jane for another chance to dress up the house a bit with Flowers in the House! Follow the link below and visit Jane and the other participants. 


Good wishes for a pleasant week!
Smiles...Susan


22 comments:

  1. Those azaleas are gorgeous! I hadn't heard of Lemon basil - might try and track that down here - I like different herbs. The iris is a beautiful colour too. Thanks for sharing these! Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby. There's not much to choose from, but the irises, red and white amaryllis will be gorgeous in a week or so! Hope you can find the lemon basil!

      Delete
  2. Wow you are waaay ahead of us in the springtime goodness.

    I think I like azaleas inside better than out. And your lemon basil return?

    Lucky you.

    All is lovely and a gift to the eyes on this rainy grey day.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the party, Jane! I will try and capture a few neighbor's yards resplendent with woodsy, colorful azaleas to change your mind about these beauties! The lemon basil and the pot of chives returned...splendiferous!

      Delete
  3. Ah - your flowers are always such a treat, Susan. So pretty! And it sounds like a whole lot of blooming goodness is in store for you in the next month or so! I'll have a few new things blooming, but the heat will take its toll in a couple of months in Arizona. Enjoy your early springtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat does the same here so we enjoy while we can and have the forever hardy crepe myrtles in the depths of Summer! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oooh you already have dogwood....soon, soon, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Amelia, our dogwoods are usually at their peak by the first week of April. The thunderstorms today finished off the blooms in our yard, but neighbor's were more fortunate. Still plenty of pretty around our little town. Appreciate the visit!

      Delete
  5. So very pretty, such a nice way to brighten up your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After our fickle winter, these blossoms are precious! Hope you are enjoying your Autumn! Thank you for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. I especially love the color of your azaleas among your pics. How lovely. Have a nice week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Haricot. I needed a lovely springtime tanka to make the post complete!

      Delete
  7. The azaleas and dogwood in the jars are charming. 30 peonies? That will be amazing when they bloom (which I have no doubt they will.) So wonderful to see your spring bounty---thank you for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen...I found an enthusiastic peony grower on ebay. I purchased 20 roots? Not sure what you call them. I had questions about whether they would grow this far south. He was very kind and communicative. When my package arrived, he had sent extras! So I anxiously await this year's outcome!

      Delete
  8. Dear Susan,
    isn't it lovely when spring comes back? Spirits uplifting, beautiful flowers on you windowsill and in your garden! I love dogwoods flowers! And the fragrance of some azaleas. Hope more peonies will show up - some might come later, having heard your warning about tornadoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britta...we did have a tornado that afternoon about 10 miles south of our town. Trees knocked over and some sheds destroyed, but no injuries, thankfully! The peonies were wise to stay hidden...but the sun is shining so maybe a glimpse of more!

      Delete
  9. You are so far ahead of us. My dogwood is not even thinking of waking up yet! Our azaleas, neither! Nor, our irises! Nothing. Just little bright green stuff peaking out. But I know, one day soon (very soon) they will all wake up beautifully. Until then, I will just enjoy your gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christa...please do enjoy! Your world will be a riot of color before you know it! Being only 70+ miles from the Florida line is a plus in the springtime. Our little town is bursting with loveliness ....dogwoods, redbuds, forsythia, bridal wreath...and azaleas! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. We've moved this past winter-and I had to leave behind a bank of peonies :(
    Here in SoCal, they will be trickier to grow- fingers crossed for yours and mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan... I am worse than a mother hen watching my two buds! I check on them several times a day! The plants look great so I am hoping our fickle winter weather was just what they needed. Photos to come..I hope! Thanks for the visit... keeping fingers crossed! Happy Weekend..Susan

      Delete
  11. It is so nice having flowers in the home and your azalea bouquet is stunning, Susan.

    Happy Easter to you.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. Hope you and your family have a lovely Easter!

      Delete

Your visit is appreciated and thank you for taking the time to comment, too!