Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Listening to Life

 

 

Ask Me

Some time when the river is ice ask me
mistakes I have made. Ask me whether
what I have done is my life. Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.

I will listen to what you say.
You and I can turn and look
at the silent river and wait. We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings and goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.
William Stafford
 
 
I have long given up making New Year's Resolutions. This year I decided on a list of words to emphasize during the year. Keeping it simple...something that has taken me a life time to learn.
 
Words for 2014
Listen
Seek
Understand
Empathize
Create
Grow
Love
 
Happy 2014!
 
 

9 comments:

  1. That poem really touches me--am going to make a copy of it. Wonderful picture too--reminds me of Emily DIckinson: "Tell all the truth but tell it slant".

    Perfect list of words/qualities to aspire to.

    Hope the new year is good to you, my friend!

    xo, Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen... I love the Dickinson quote... The picture is symbolic of my life since full retirement last July. I seem to be perpetually off-kilter. I am focusing on living more fully without a career being the cornerstone! Thanks for stopping by...stay warm and safe as I understand y'all are in the midst of a heck of a winter storm up your way. Smiles...Susan

      Delete
  2. A lovely poem and a great list of words to live by. I would add “be patient” and “don’t get frustrated” to mine as I need to be, more and more (my husband has been diagnosed with onset Alzheimer.) Have a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts are with you as you continue this journey with your husband. Patience has often been difficult for me, too. Working for so many years with young children taught me there was a time and place where patience was the only answer. I hope you find a place of inner peace to sustain you when patience is in short supply. Thank you for taking time to visit and comment. Peace be with you in 2014. Susan

      Delete
  3. Susan, Happy New Year to you. Thank you for your list of words. They are very thoughtful. I will follow your lead and focus on these words in 2014. Christa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Susan,
    thank you for that beautiful poem of William Stafford! I am almost ashamed to see your list of words that are so gentle - the only word I pinned down for 2014 is "efficiency". Sounds almost heartless - but it is what I want this year. To you my very best wishes and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britta...so good to hear from you! You have been missed! I am so glad you saw the gentleness in my list. I am reaching for that in my life. I understand your choice of "efficiency." To live YOUR best life you must fit all the pieces together in such a fashion. Since I have no job or schedule to maintain now, I think I can work on the softer side of living... That's my aim. Hope your holidays were splendid and you had a lovely birthday! Happy 2014!

      Delete

Your visit is appreciated and thank you for taking the time to comment, too!